Eligible small businesses in NSW can get help with their energy bills from 1 July 2023 through the Energy Bill Relief Fund. The NSW Government is administering the bill relief.
How much you can get
You can get up to $650 in bill relief for your small business in NSW from 31 July 2023 if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Who can get it
You can get the bill relief if your small business:
- is based in NSW
- has an annual electricity consumption below the threshold of 100 MWh
- is on a separately metered business tariff with your electricity retailer.
Who can’t get it
You are not eligible for the small business bill relief payment for your small business if:
- you run your small business using electricity from your home
- your annual electricity consumption is above the small business threshold.
The following small businesses are also not eligible:
- the Crown in right of New South Wales and the Commonwealth
- state-owned corporations
- local councils
- authorised deposit-taking institutions
- the Australian Postal Corporation
- retailers, distributors, electricity generators, and transmission operators as defined in the Electricity Supply Act 1995 (NSW)
- distributors, retailers and reticulators as defined in the Gas Supply Act 1996 (NSW)
- water management authorities as listed in Schedule 3 of the Water Act 1912 (NSW)
- carriers as defined by the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth)
- customers with deemed customer retail arrangements, as defined in section 54 of the National Energy Retail Law (NSW)
Please note only one energy bill relief payment will be provided per small business in the 2023-24 financial year.
If you are in an embedded network
On-supply (embedded network) customers get an energy bill or invoice from, or on behalf of, the owners or management company where your business is located like a shopping centre.
More information about how to apply if you are an on-supply (embedded network) customer will be available on the NSW Government website from October 2023.
When you will get it
If you are eligible, your electricity provider will automatically apply the bill relief to your electricity account from 1 July 2023, reducing the amount you owe on your next bill. You do not need to do anything. Energy providers will apply the bill relief in quarterly instalments of $162.50 from:
- 31 July 2023
- 31 October 2023
- 31 January 2024
- 30 April 2024
Small businesses that become eligible after 31 July 2023 will not receive backdated payments.
Small businesses that are part of an embedded network (for example, located in a shopping centre) will be able to apply from October 2023.
To find out more about how the bill relief works go to the NSW Government website.
Administered by: NSW Office of Energy and Climate Change
Post: PO Box 435, Parramatta, NSW, 2124