The Medical Heating and Cooling Concession (MHCC) assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the severe worsening of their condition.
The concession amount is currently $263.15 a year. This amount is indexed each financial year and is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession.
To be eligible for the MHCC, applicants must:
- live at the address on the application form
- have, or be the parent or legal guardian of, a child who has a qualifying medical condition requiring cooling or heating to prevent severe worsening of their condition
- provide certification from their medical specialist or general practitioner that the medical condition is severely worsened by hot or cold weather
- use an air conditioning unit at that address to meet their medical heating and cooling requirements
- be financially responsible for the full or part payment of the energy bill
- hold an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment.
See the website (below) for full list of eligible cards.
Administered by: Government of South Australia
Phone: 1300 735 350 (Medical Heating and Cooling line) or 1800 307 758 (ConcessionsSA Hotline)