The No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) offers individuals and families on low incomes access to safe, fair and affordable loans for purchasing appliances and some other essential household expenses.
NILS is offered by more than 175 local community organisations in over 600 locations across Australia. To find your nearest loan provider go to the NILS website.
The NILS scheme offers loans of up to $1500 for essential goods and services including:
- fridges and freezers
- washing machines and dryers
- computers, laptops and tablets
- text books
- car-related expenses
- some medical and dental services
- some other items as requested.
To be eligible for NILS you must:
- have a health care card/pension card or earn less than $45,000 a year after tax, $60,000 after tax for joint applicants or people with children
- have lived in your current residence for a minimum of 3 months
- show a willingness and capacity to repay the loan.
A NILS loan is not a payday loan or a bank loan and cannot be used for cash, bond, rent arrears, debt consolidation, holidays or bills.
There are no credit checks, fees, interest or charges. Repayments are set at an affordable amount over 12 to 18 months.
Other conditions may apply.
Check your eligibility and find a loan provider at the NILS website.
To find out more you can also call 13 64 57.