The Next Generation Energy Storage Grants provides Australian Capital Territory households and businesses with a discount to install a battery storage unit connected to a new or existing rooftop solar PV system.
Through this program, the ACT Government is subsidising battery storage in around 5000 Canberra homes and businesses. 4 battery storage and solar PV companies have been selected to do the installations through a competitive process.
The current rebate is $825 per kilowatt (kW) up to a maximum of 30kW. A typical household system of 5kW would be eligible for about $4000 in financial support.
The battery is charged with free solar energy from a solar PV system which can be used when needed, even when the sun isn’t shining. Energy bills can be reduced by using battery power at peak times when electricity from the grid is more expensive. The battery may also:
- provide backup power during a grid outage (some systems)
- reduce peak demand on the energy network
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions
To be eligible for the discount you must:
- have a new system that has not already been supported by the program
- be connected to the electricity grid
- be coupled with solar PV panels
- Include a new or existing inverter that meets technical requirements
- own or rent a property located in the Australian Capital Territory
- have a suitable location for the battery
Check your eligibility and apply at:
ACT Government website
Call 13 22 81