Households and small businesses across Australia that install a small scale renewable energy system (solar, wind or hydro) or eligible hot water system may be able to receive a benefit under the Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme (SRES) to help with the purchase cost.
Installing an eligible system allows the creation of Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) with a value that can be redeemed by selling or assigning them. The number of STCs created is based on:
- the amount of renewable electricity the system produces or the amount of electricity consumption it reduces
- the climate region where it’s installed.
Small-scale renewable systems that may be eligible for certificates include:
- solar photovoltaic (PV) panels
- wind turbines
- hydro systems
- solar water heaters, and
- air source heat pumps.
Owners have 2 options for receiving benefit for their STCs:
- Assigning them to an agent, usually the system installer, in exchange for a discount or delayed cash payment.
- Selling the certificates themselves.
There are 2 options for selling the certificates:
- Through the open STCs market with pricing subject to market forces.
- Through the STCs Clearing House with the price fixed at $40 per STC, excluding GST.
Check your eligibility and apply at the Clean Energy Regulator website.