Rebates and assistance


Grants to help with overdue energy and water bills


If you live in a low-income household or are experiencing hardship, you may be eligible to apply for a grant to help with overdue electricity, gas and water bills.

The Utility Relief Grant Scheme offers grants of up to:

  • $650 for each electricity, gas or water utility in a 2-year period
  • $1,300 over 2 years if you only use a single source of energy, such as electricity.


To be eligible for the grant, the account holder must have one of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card.

If you don’t have one of these cards but are part of a low-income household, you may also be able to apply. Your retailer will ask you some questions to check if you are eligible before issuing a form.

The grant is available to renters and homeowners.

Other conditions may apply.

Next steps

To find out more including how to apply for the grant, go to the Victorian Government website or call 1800 658 521.