Rebates and assistance


Energy audits for businesses

Program name
Power$mart Businesses


Power$mart Businesses provides subsidised energy audits for business operations and buildings in Tasmania.

The energy auditor will carry out a number of tasks which include:

  • conduct an on-site visit to your business’s premises
  • analyse your electricity use and tariffs
  • identify energy saving opportunities
  • calculate the financial payback for energy savings opportunities

Tasmanian Government funding will cover 70% of the cost of the energy audit. Your business will need to pay for the remaining 30% of the audit costs.

The cost of each energy audit will depend on the size and complexity of the business. As a guide, the approximate cost of an energy audit for:

  • small businesses with relatively simple energy uses is expected to cost between $1,000 and $2,000
  • larger businesses with more complicated energy uses is expected to cost between $2,000 and $5,000, but in some cases may cost more

Please note, this program is scheduled to close on Tuesday 30 June 2020.


  • improve energy efficiency
  • reduce energy bills
  • reduce greenhouse gas emissions

Key eligibility

To be eligible for the Power$mart Businesses program, your business must:

  • operate as a sole trader, trust, partnership or private company
  • be registered for tax purposes in Australia with an Australian Business Number and is registered for GST
  • has less than 50 full-time equivalent employees
  • has an annual electricity consumption of more than 30 megawatt hours per year (for offices and retail) or more than 100 megawatt hours per year (for other applicants)

Priority will be given to the following business types:

  • commercial office space or retail tenancies
  • independent supermarkets
  • commercial accommodation (for example hotels and motels but excluding residential-based accommodation such as Airbnb).

Other conditions may apply.

Next steps

Check your eligibility and apply at:

Tasmanian Government website

Call: 03 6232 7173