The Australian Government has commissioned Jobs and Skills Australia (JSA) to undertake a capacity study on the workforce needs for the transition to a clean-energy economy.
The capacity study will build on existing research of the clean energy sector by:
- determining the jobs, and industries that will make up Australia’s clean-energy workforce
- identifying pathways to develop skills, training and migration
- modelling scenarios for reaching net zero by 2050
- exploring how opportunities can be shared across regions and with First Nations Australians, women, people with disability, and Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- examining assistance for workers in high-emissions sectors to transition to new roles in their communities.
Partnering with stakeholders and specialists will ensure a complete view of the sector’s current and emerging workforce needs. A project steering group has been established and includes members from across industry, unions, training providers, state governments, research organisations and the Commonwealth.
JSA has committed to delivering an interim report to the Australian Government by May 2023 and a final report by mid-2023.