Simple actions to save
By using energy and water efficiently, you’ll save money without sacrificing convenience and comfort.
Whether it's washing clothes in cold water, adjusting your thermostat or turning off power at the wall, it all adds up.
These simple actions could save a household about $605 over a year:
- Getting rid of the second fridge, if you’ve got one, could save around $170 a year.
- Switching off the gaming console after use could save up to $195 a year.
- Using the clothesline once a week instead of using the dryer could save around $80 a year.
- Installing a water-efficient showerhead can save a two-person household at least $160 a year on energy and water costs.
These amounts are a guide only. Exact savings will vary depending on:
- the age of your appliances
- the size of your home
- your climatic zone
- the energy prices you pay including the type of contract you choose.
You may also be able to save by changing your energy plan or by switching energy provider. Find the best energy deal.
The Your Energy Savings website has more details on each of these tips, and additional information that will help you save energy around your home.