The Department of the Environment and Energy is the lead Australian Government delegate responsible for Australia's participation in the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) and engagement in the clean energy initiatives.
The CEM is a high-level global forum to promote policies and programs that advance clean energy technology, share lessons learnt and best practices, and encourage the transition to a global clean energy economy. Initiatives are based on areas of common interest among participating governments and other stakeholders.
The CEM is the only annual meeting of Energy Ministers dedicated to clean energy and supported by year-round work streams which span energy supply, energy demand, energy systems and cross-cutting issues.
- CEM Members currently account for approximately 90% of global energy investments and 75% of global greenhouse gas emissions who have prioritised clean energy advancement and participate on a voluntary basis to achieve this goal.
- CEM initiatives and campaigns help the global uptake of clean energy, reduce emissions, improve energy security, provide energy access and sustain economic growth. Most initiatives involve working groups which meet throughout the year to advance the series of projects under each initiative.
- The cooperative nature of activities are a core strength of the CEM and provide a tangible way for each CEM member to achieve its own domestic clean energy goals while also contributing to a global, collaborative platform.
The CEM initiatives work to achieve three key goals: improve energy efficiency, enhance clean energy supply, and expand clean energy access. Progress in these areas can help nations reduce carbon emissions, improve energy security, and sustain economic growth. There are 17 current initiatives and campaigns, of which Australia is a member of 5:
- Super-Efficiency Equipment and Appliance Deployment (SEAD)
- International Smart Grid Action Network (ISGAN)
- Clean Energy Solutions Centre (CESC) (co-lead with the United States)
- Energy Management Working Group (EMWG)
- Clean Energy Education and Empowerment (C3E)