The Australian Government is committed to supporting regional Australia and has delivered significant investments focused on creating jobs and driving economic growth in our regions.
The Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund (Fund) will provide up to $50.4 million over 5 years from 2019-20 to 2023-24.
The Fund supports feasibility studies looking at microgrid technologies to replace, upgrade or supplement existing electricity supply arrangements in off-grid and fringe-of grid communities located in regional and remote areas.
Microgrids can represent more reliable, secure and cost effective energy supply options for regional and remote communities in Australia.
The intended outcomes of the Fund are:
- improved regional business, community services and emergency resilience through innovative microgrid solutions
- scaled-up and improved microgrid systems in regional and remote communities
- increased human capital (skills/knowledge) in the design and deployment of microgrids
- demonstrated commerciality and/or reliability and security benefits of deploying and upgrading microgrids
- reduced barriers to microgrid uptake in remote and regional communities
- increased dissemination of technology and/or project knowledge regarding the deployment and upgrading of microgrids
This program is closed to new applications.
Successful applicants under Round Two were announced on 27 July 2021.
Successful applicants under Round One were announced on 5 June 2020
Innovative microgrids to boost economic growth in regional and remote Australia Ministerial media release 27 July 2021
Successful applications under the Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund Round Two. Australian Government
Successful applications under the Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund Round One. Australian Government
Supporting energy needs of regional and remote communities Ministerial media release 2 December 2020
Unlocking microgrid opportunities in regional and remote Australia Ministerial media release 5 June 2020
Call for community microgrid feasibility studies Ministerial media release 11 October 2019
More affordable and reliable energy for regional Australia Ministerial media release 29 March 2019