The Australian Government is committed to supporting regional Australia and has delivered significant investments focused on creating jobs and driving economic growth in our regions.
The Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund (Fund) will provide up to $50.4 million over 5 years from 2019-20 to 2023-24.
The Fund supports feasibility studies looking at microgrid technologies to replace, upgrade or supplement existing electricity supply arrangements in off-grid and fringe-of grid communities located in regional and remote areas.
Microgrids can represent more reliable, secure and cost effective energy supply options for regional and remote communities in Australia.
The intended outcomes of the Fund are:
- viable projects attract funding to support scale-up and implementation of microgrid systems in regional and remote communities
- increased human capital (skills and knowledge) in the design and deployment of microgrids
- demonstrated commerciality and/or reliability and security benefits of deploying and upgrading microgrids
- reduced barriers to microgrid uptake in remote and regional communities
- increased dissemination of technology and/or project knowledge regarding the deployment and upgrading of microgrids.
Applications for Round Two of the Fund closed on 27 January 2021. A decision on successful projects is expected to be made in mid-2021. This grant opportunity will have a particular focus on projects that are innovative, or focus on regional businesses, community services or emergency resilience. Further information including the Grant Opportunity Guidelines and an example application form are available at business.gov.au and GrantConnect.
Applications for Round Two close on 27 January 2021.
Recipients of Round One were announced on 5 June 2020.
Successful applications under the Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund Australian Government
business.gov.au Australian Government
Supporting energy needs of regional and remote communities Ministerial media release 2 December 2020
Unlocking microgrid opportunities in regional and remote Australia Ministerial media release 5 June 2020
Call for community microgrid feasibility studies Ministerial media release 11 October 2019
More affordable and reliable energy for regional Australia Ministerial media release 29 March 2019