The Energy Efficient Communities Program will deliver $50 million of grants to assist businesses and community organisations to improve energy efficiency practices and technologies and better manage energy consumption to reduce their power bills.
Funding will support activities to help businesses and community organisations to save energy through:
- equipment upgrades that reduce energy consumption
- energy generation and storage projects (for example solar photovoltaic panels, batteries and solar hot water) will only be permitted for community organisations
- investment in energy and emissions monitoring and management systems to better manage energy use
- completion of energy systems assessments according to the Australian Standard or feasibility studies to investigate energy efficiency opportunities
When do applications open?
- Eligible community organisations will be able to apply for grants from 1 September 2019
- Eligible businesses will be able to apply for grants by January 2020
Who can apply for funding?
Grants will be made available for:
- small businesses
- businesses that consume large amounts (over 0.05 petajoules) of energy each year
- community organisations
Definitions of the businesses that can seek funding will be refined during program design.