The Australian Government is committed to supporting regional Australia and has delivered significant investments focused on creating jobs and driving economic growth in our regions.
The Daintree Microgrid Program will provide up to $19.3 million over 3 years from 2021-22 to 2023-24.
The program will support deployment of a renewable energy microgrid incorporating hydrogen for the Daintree community in north Queensland. Moving customers in the Daintree to a renewable microgrid will create jobs, improve reliability, security and affordability of electricity supply and reduce emissions by reducing diesel fuel consumption.
The intended outcomes of the program are:
- the construction and establishment of an operational microgrid in the Daintree, which will
- increase affordability of electricity supply for the Daintree community
- reduce emissions through reduced diesel fuel consumption
- improve energy security and resilience to extreme weather events in the Daintree community
- improved employment opportunities related to the construction, operation and maintenance of the microgrid
- sharing knowledge to help accelerate deployment of microgrids in regional and remote communities.
This program is closed to new applications.
The successful grant recipient under the program was announced on 7 March 2022.