Energy National Cabinet Reform Committee
National Cabinet tasked ENCRC with the following key priorities to deliver in 2021:
- immediate measures to ensure reliability and security of the electricity grid ahead of the 2020-21 summer
- complete - ENCRC provided advice on immediate reliability and security measures for the electricity grid following its September 2020 meeting.
- the redesign of the National Electricity Market (NEM) to take effect after 2025
- complete - ENCRC provided recommendations on gas reforms to National Cabinet in August 2021.
- a package of reforms to unlock new gas supply, improve competition in the market and better regulation of pipelines.
- complete - ENCRC provided the recommendations on reform workstreams for east coast gas markets to National Cabinet in October 2021.
Energy Ministers’ Meeting
Energy Ministers agreed the following priorities on 11 June 2021:
- implementation of Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy including delivery of an annual ‘State of Hydrogen’ report
- governance of Australian energy market bodies including consideration of a future governance model post-2025, and the development of Statements of Expectation
- establishing an energy technology work plan by end of 2021, to include clear deliverable actions aligned with Energy Ministers’ priorities to encourage consumer choice, promote technology and help manage energy costs.
These priorities will be reviewed after 12 months.
Working group structure
The following working groups were agreed by Energy Ministers in June 2021 to underpin the ENCRC and EMM priorities:
- Gas Working Group
- Hydrogen Working Group
- Governance Working Group
- Energy Technology Working Group
- National Emergency Management Working Group
- Cyber Security Working Group
These working groups will be reviewed along with the Energy Ministers’ priorities every 12 months.