On 1 February 2019 Energy Ministers agreed the Trajectory for Low Energy Buildings, a national plan that sets a trajectory towards zero energy (and carbon) ready buildings for Australia.
The Trajectory identifies opportunities for the building sector in the context of a broader trajectory for the sector, and in summary proposes:
- setting a trajectory towards zero energy (and carbon) ready buildings
- implementing cost effective increases to the energy efficiency provisions in the National Construction Code (NCC) for residential and commercial buildings from 2022.
The Trajectory, and its underlying reports, seeks to inform the future activities of the Building Ministers' Forum and the Australian Building Codes Board when developing and implementing updates to the NCC, and to inform further Energy Council activities around building policy measures.
Addendum to the Trajectory for Low Energy Buildings
On 22 November 2019 Energy Ministers agreed to the Addendum to the Trajectory for Low Energy Buildings – Existing Buildings.
The Trajectory Addendum is the second stage of the national plan for a trajectory towards zero energy (and carbon) ready buildings for Australia. It provides a suite of initiatives to improve the energy efficiency of existing buildings in Australia, and in summary proposes:
- developing information, training and energy rating tools for households and businesses to enable greater understanding of energy efficiency options and applications
- developing and expanding target building policies, including:
- disclosure of energy performance
- minimum energy efficiency standards for rental properties
- renovations and refurbishments
- improving heating, ventilation and cooling
- energy productivity in government operations.
- identifying and developing supporting measures, including:
- specific measures for strata titled buildings
- financial initiatives
- appliance standards and labelling
- specific measures for vulnerable households
- a national dataset and collection process for existing homes
- other targeted initiatives.
The Trajectory and the Trajectory Addendum were developed closely with stakeholders to outline policies that deliver cost effective energy efficiency improvements to homes and businesses that lower energy bills, improve comfort and reduce pressure on the electricity grid.