The Australian Government (the Government) has established a Gas Taskforce to oversee the implementation of the Government’s measures to deliver cheaper and more reliable gas to Australian households and to increase gas supplies for business. The Taskforce will report to the Energy Committee of Cabinet.
Households rely on affordable gas supplies to their homes and businesses need reliable energy to support jobs. To this end, a series of measures have been developed and gas industry participants have agreed to ongoing work to deliver the benefits and energise investment to make that happen.
The Government is continuing to work on other policies to promote gas development and provide energy security through its Energy Committee of Cabinet.
Gas market reforms
The Government also continues to lead gas market reforms through the Council of Australian Governments Energy Council (COAG Energy Council) to improve the way the market works and bring on new supply. The Energy Council will work with the Taskforce to identify and accelerate possible reforms.
The Gas Market Reform Group (GMRG) was established by the COAG Energy Council in August 2016 to lead the design, development and implementation of:
- a new information disclosure and commercial arbitration framework for non-scheme pipelines
- transportation (pipeline and hub services) capacity trading related reforms
- market transparency reforms
- wholesale gas market reforms.
For further information about the Gas Taskforce, contact the Secretariat at GasTaskforce [at] environment.gov.au
- Measures Agreed for Cheaper, More Reliable Gas, 15 March 2017 Prime Minister of Australia
- Statement on meeting with gas and energy users, 29 March 2017 joint Ministerial media release
- Gas pipeline companies to work with Turnbull government to ensure gas delivery, 29 March 2017 joint Ministerial media release
- Tax Cuts To Boost Jobs And Wages, 31 March 2017 joint media release
- Gas Supply, 19 April 2017 Prime Minister of Australia
- ACCC to monitor Eastern Australian wholesale gas market, 19 April 2017 Australian Government
- ACCC to investigate and report on Australian gas markets and market transparency, 20 April 2017 Australian Government
- Gas Market Reform Group (GMRG)
- Gas Market Reform Package COAG Energy Council