Energy is essential to our modern lifestyle in Australia—it's connected to almost everything we do.
The Australian Government’s priority is to ensure all Australians have access to affordable and reliable energy while supporting the transition to a lower emissions economy.
The department supports the Commonwealth minister responsible for energy and seeks to achieve Australian Government policy objectives in Energy Ministers Meeting decisions.
Energy Ministers are supported by 3 key market bodies:
- The Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) develops the rules by which the market must operate.
- The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) handles the day-to-day operations of the electricity and gas markets.
- The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) enforces the national electricity market rules and makes judgements on the regulatory proposals of monopoly network operators.
Find out about:
- ACCC inquiry into improving electricity affordability
- Energy Ministers
- Energy market legislation
- Gas markets
- National Electricity Market
- National Energy Customer Framework
- Oil Code of Conduct
- Prohibiting energy market misconduct