Ensuring our electricity and gas markets operate competitively, transparently and in the long-term interests of consumers is a core Australian Government priority. Improved scrutiny and accountability is placing downward pressure on prices and improving market operations. We have established an ongoing role for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to monitor and report on the electricity and gas markets with the objective of reducing non-competitive behaviour and maximising competition. And we continue to deliver increased protections for energy consumers, particularly consumers facing energy vulnerability.
- passage of ‘Big Stick’ legislative reforms by Q4 2019
- delivery of six-monthly reports from the ACCC electricity and gas inquiries
1. Improving market transparency and accountability
2. Helping consumers reduce bills and navigate the energy market
3. Expanding powers to deal with misconduct