Billing and payment help
- If your business is having trouble paying its energy bill you should call your electricity or gas provider. Their phone number is on your bill.
- Ask about what hardship support they can offer you. They have staff trained to assist.
- Ask to go on a payment plan, to pay your bill over a longer time or make small regular payments.
- Stay on the plan to protect yourself from disconnection, interest payments and late fees.
- Ask if there are government concessions or rebates to help you. You can also check for government energy efficiency and sustainability rebates and assistance in your state or territory.
Some states and territories and some energy retailers have announced a pause on disconnections during the COVID-19 emergency.
Support for business
The Australian Government has announced its economic response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19). A series of administrative measures to assist Australians experiencing financial difficulty as a result of the outbreak will be implemented. Measures include:
- JobKeeper Payment to allow impacted businesses to access a subsidy from the government to continue paying their employees
- Increase in the Instant Asset Write-Off
- Backing Business Investment providing time limited accelerated depreciation deductions
- Boosting cash flow for employers
- Investment of up to $15 billion to enable smaller lenders to continue supporting Australian consumers and small businesses
- Established a $1 billion COVID-19 Relief and Recovery fund to support regions, communities and industry sectors disproportionately affected by the crisis, with initiatives supporting industries including aviation, agriculture, fisheries, tourism and the arts.
The Australian Government's business hotline supports small and medium businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Call the business.gov.au contact centre on 13 28 46 7am to 9pm, 7 days a week.
Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call the Australian Taxation Office’s Emergency Support Hotline on 1800 806 218 for help tailored to their circumstances.
Coronavirus advice and support
Coronavirus information and support for business (business.gov.au) Australian Government
Information on COVID-19 and work, health and safety (safe work australia) Australian Government
COVID-19 (Australian Taxation Office) Australian Government
Have a COVID-19 plan (National COVID-19 Coordination Commission) Australian Government
Download the 'COVIDSafe' government app in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. This highly secure app enables public health workers to notify people who may have been exposed to COVID-19 more quickly and effectively.
Download the 'Coronavirus Australia' government app in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. This app includes essential information on government actions, a symptom checker, news and contact information.
Business information on how to manage and save energy for small and large businesses, how and where to save energy for various industries and equipment, and grants and funding for energy efficiency investment
Rebates and assistance is a searchable database of energy and sustainability rebates and assistance from the Australian Government and state and territory governments
Business Energy Advice Program provides free services for eligible small businesses to get better energy deals and reduce their energy spend
Energy efficiency training lists a range of energy efficiency training providers and options, including accredited training, on-the-job learning, government workshops, and programs offered by professional and industry associations
My Business Health advice and resources for small businesses (Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman) Australian Government
Retailers confirm support for energy customers Australian Energy Council (membership comprises 23 major electricity and downstream natural gas businesses, covering 10 million homes and businesses)
Financial support for small business customers in New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia Energy Networks Australia
Financial difficulty Australian Banking Association (membership comprises 22 banks from across Australia)
Jobs and job seekers
Jobs Hub Australian Government (up to date list of a selection of businesses and organisations that are currently hiring, and how to contact them)
jobactive Australian Government (advertise jobs or find staff, plus wage subsidy information and more)
Early Childhood Education and Care Relief Package Australian Government (payments to ensure services can remain open, and families who need it can access care)
Energy and water ombudsman (for small businesses)
Australian Government Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman
Australian Government Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman COVID-19
ACT Energy and water ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal - Call 02 6207 7740
NSW Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW - Call 1800 246 545
NT Ombudsman NT - Call 1800 806 380
Qld Energy & Water Ombudsman - Call 1800 662 837
SA Energy & Water Ombudsman SA - Call 1800 665 565
Tas Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170
Tas Energy Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170
Vic Energy and Water Ombudsman - Call 1800 500 509
WA Energy and Water Ombudsman - Call 1800 754 004