Billing and payment help
- If you or your business are having trouble paying your bill you should call your electricity or gas provider. Their phone number is on your bill.
- Ask about what hardship support they can offer you. They have staff trained to assist.
- Ask to go on a payment plan to pay your bill over a longer time or make small regular payments.
- Stay on the plan to protect yourself from disconnection, interest payments and late fees.
- Ask if they can offer you a better deal. If they can’t give you more help you can switch providers to save. We step you through how to do this using free comparator sites on our Find the best energy deal page.
- Ask if you are on all of the concessions you may be entitled to. You can also check for all of the government rebates and assistance in your state or territory.
- If your energy bill seems wrong, your retailer must review it if requested.
- If you receive a disconnection notice from your retailer, contact them immediately to discuss your options. You should not be disconnected during a protected period, such as a weekend or public holiday.
- People registered as depending on a life-support system have further protections from disconnection.
- If you're still not satisfied, contact the energy ombudsman in your state or territory. An ombudsman is a free and independent dispute resolution service. See further below for contact details.
COVID-19 advice and support
Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support (NDIS) Australian Government
COVID-19 (Australian Taxation Office) Australian Government
COVID-19 health alert (Department of Health) Australian Government
COVID-19 vaccination information (Department of Health) Australian Government
COVID-19 information for people with a disability NDIS Commission
COVID-19 and pets RSPCA
Eco-friendly alternatives to disposable face masks Victorian Government
Mental health and wellbeing resources
Looking after your mental health during coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions (Department of Health) Australian Government
Older Persons COVID-19 Support Line (Department of Health) Australian Government - Call 1800 171 866
ACT Mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19 ACT Government
NSW COVID-19 mental wellbeing services NSW Government
NT Mental health Northern Territory Government
Qld COVID-19 and mental health Queensland Government
SA Mental health support - COVID-19 Government of South Australia
Tas Mental health and wellbeing support Tasmanian Government
Vic How to look after your mental health during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic outbreak Government of Victoria
WA Mental health and COVID-19 Government of Western Australia
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander-specific programs Orygen - Call 1800 888 320
Connecting young Victorians with enhanced digital mental health care Orygen - Call 1800 888 320
COVID Connect Australian Red Cross - 1800 733 276
COVID-19 Hub People with Disability Australia
COVID-19: If you’re affected by complex mental health issues, we’re here for you SANE Australia - Call 1800 187 263
Coronavirus (COVID-19) mental health resources Phoenix Australia
Coronavirus mental wellbeing support service Beyond Blue - Call 1800 512 348
Coronavirus: Resources for anxiety and stress Black Dog Institute
headspace is still here for you during COVID-19 headspace - Call 1800 650 890
Mental health and wellbeing during the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak Lifeline - Call 13 1114
Mensline Australia - Call 1300 789 978
ReachOut.com (provides specially targeted information to help any young person who visits the service)
ReachOut.com/Parents (supporting your teen during COVID-19)
Rural Alive and Well - Call 1300 4357 6283
Suicide Call Back Service (provides professional 24/7 telephone and online counselling to people who are affected by suicide) - Call 1300 659 467
Your guide to everything novel coronavirus (COVID-19)! kidshelpline - Call 1800 551 800
Financial help and advice
Energy bill help Australian Energy Council
Financial difficulty Australian Banking Association (membership comprises 22 banks from across Australia)
Financial support for customers in NSW, Victoria and South Australia Energy Networks Australia
Problems paying your bills and fines moneysmart.gov.au
Retailers confirm support for energy customers Australian Energy Council (membership comprises 23 major electricity and downstream natural gas businesses, covering 10 million homes and businesses)
Energy and water ombudsman
ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal - Call 02 6207 7740
Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW - Call 1800 246 545
Ombudsman NT - Call 1800 806 380
Energy & Water Ombudsman Queensland - Call 1800 662 837
Energy & Water Ombudsman SA - Call 1800 665 565
Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170
Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria - Call 1800 500 509
Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia - Call 1800 754 004
COVID-19 help from your state or territory government