Support for Australian households

Last updated 4/10/2022

Billing and payment help

  • If you or your business are having trouble paying your bill you should call your electricity or gas provider. Their phone number is on your bill.
  • Ask about what hardship support they can offer you. They have staff trained to assist.
  • Ask to go on a payment plan to pay your bill over a longer time or make small regular payments.
  • Stay on the plan to protect yourself from disconnection, interest payments and late fees.
  • Ask if they can offer you a better deal. If they can’t give you more help you can switch providers to save. We step you through how to do this using free comparator sites on our Find the best energy deal page.
  • Ask if you are on all of the concessions you may be entitled to. You can also check for all of the government rebates and assistance in your state or territory.
  • If your energy bill seems wrong, your retailer must review it if requested.
  • If you receive a disconnection notice from your retailer, contact them immediately to discuss your options. You should not be disconnected during a protected period, such as a weekend or public holiday.
  • People registered as depending on a life-support system have further protections from disconnection.
  • If you're still not satisfied, contact the energy ombudsman in your state or territory. An ombudsman is a free and independent dispute resolution service. See further below for contact details.

Read more

COVID-19 advice and support

Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support (NDIS) Australian Government

COVID-19 (Australian Taxation Office) Australian Government

COVID-19 health alert (Department of Health) Australian Government

COVID-19 vaccination information (Department of Health) Australian Government

COVID-19 advice for older people and carers (Department of Health) Australian Government

COVID-19 information for people with a disability NDIS Commission

COVID-19 resources centre (Services Australia) Australian Government - Posters, media materials, factsheets and more about how people can get proof of their COVID-19 vaccinations.

COVID-19 and pets RSPCA 

Eco-friendly alternatives to disposable face masks Victorian Government

Mental health and wellbeing resources 


Looking after your mental health during coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions (Department of Health) Australian Government

ACT Mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19 ACT Government

NSW COVID-19 mental wellbeing services NSW Government

NT Mental health Northern Territory Government

Qld COVID-19 and mental health Queensland Government

SA Mental health support - COVID-19 Government of South Australia

Tas Mental health and wellbeing support Tasmanian Government

Vic How to look after your mental health during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic outbreak Government of Victoria

WA Mental health and COVID-19 Government of Western Australia


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander-specific programs Orygen - Call 1800 888 320

Connecting young Victorians with enhanced digital mental health care Orygen - Call 1800 888 320

COVID Connect Australian Red Cross - 1800 733 276

COVID-19 Hub People with Disability Australia

COVID-19: If you’re affected by complex mental health issues, we’re here for you SANE Australia - Call 1800 187 263

Coronavirus (COVID-19) mental health resources Phoenix Australia

Coronavirus mental wellbeing support service Beyond Blue - Call 1800 512 348

Coronavirus: Resources for anxiety and stress Black Dog Institute

headspace is still here for you during COVID-19 headspace - Call 1800 650 890

Mental health and wellbeing during the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak Lifeline - Call 13 1114

Mensline Australia - Call 1300 789 978 (provides specially targeted information to help any young person who visits the service) (supporting your teen during COVID-19) 

Rural Alive and Well - Call 1300 4357 6283

Staying connected is more important than ever RUOK

Suicide Call Back Service (provides professional 24/7 telephone and online counselling to people who are affected by suicide) - Call 1300 659 467 

Your guide to everything novel coronavirus (COVID-19)! kidshelpline - Call 1800 551 800

Financial help and advice

Financial support for customers in NSW, Victoria and South Australia Energy Networks Australia

Support for vulnerable customers in ACT, NSW, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia The Energy Charter

Energy bill help Australian Energy Council

Financial difficulty Australian Banking Association (membership comprises 22 banks from across Australia)

Problems paying your bills and fines 

Rebates and assistance 

Retailers confirm support for energy customers Australian Energy Council (membership comprises 23 major electricity and downstream natural gas businesses, covering 10 million homes and businesses)


Your rights as an energy customer  

Energy and water ombudsman

ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal - Call 02 6207 7740

Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW - Call 1800 246 545

Ombudsman NT - Call 1800 806 380

Energy & Water Ombudsman Queensland - Call 1800 662 837

Energy & Water Ombudsman SA - Call 1800 665 565

Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria - Call 1800 500 509

Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia - Call 1800 754 004

COVID-19 help from your state or territory government



Northern Territory


South Australia 



Western Australia