Billing and payment help
- If your business is having trouble paying its energy bill you should call your electricity or gas provider. Their phone number is on your bill.
- Ask about what hardship support they can offer you. They have staff trained to assist.
- Ask to go on a payment plan, to pay your bill over a longer time or make small regular payments.
- Stay on the plan to protect yourself from disconnection, interest payments and late fees.
- Ask if there are government concessions or rebates to help you. You can also check for government energy efficiency and sustainability rebates and assistance in your state or territory.
Support for business
The Australian Government has announced its economic response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19). A series of administrative measures to assist Australians experiencing financial difficulty as a result of the outbreak will be implemented. Measures include:
- Backing Business Investment providing time limited accelerated depreciation deductions
- Boosting cash flow for employers
- Establishing a $1 billion COVID-19 Relief and Recovery fund to support regions, communities and industry sectors disproportionately affected by the crisis, with initiatives supporting industries including aviation, agriculture, fisheries, tourism and the arts
- Increase in the Instant Asset Write-Off
- Investment of up to $15 billion to enable smaller lenders to continue supporting Australian consumers and small businesses
- JobKeeper Payment to allow impacted businesses to access a subsidy from the government to continue paying their employees
- The Australian Government is investing in mental health initiatives for small business operators to ensure they can access appropriate support when needed.
- Everymind’s Ahead for Business digital hub includes tailored information and resources, peer-to-peer engagement, personalised check-ups and action plans.
Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call the Australian Taxation Office’s Emergency Support Hotline on 1800 806 218 for help tailored to their circumstances.
The Australian Government's business hotline supports small and medium businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Call the business.gov.au contact centre on 13 28 46 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.
Advice for small businesses navigating through the COVID-19 pandemic with state and territory-specific information and resources, see Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (ASBFEO)
For advice on mental well-being and business health for sole traders and small businesses, see ASBFEOs My Business Health page. The portal offers free tools, templates and useful tips to help small business owners manage through day-to-day operations while prioritising their wellbeing.
Business coronavirus advice and support
Coronavirus information and support for business (business.gov.au) Australian Government
COVID-19 (Australian Taxation Office) Australian Government
Eco-friendly alternatives to disposable face masks Sustainability Victoria
Have a COVID-19 plan (National COVID-19 Commission) Australian Government
Information on COVID-19 and work, health and safety (safe work australia) Australian Government
COVID-19 infection training (Department of Health) Australian Government. Free training for workers across all health care settings.
e-learning modules on the principles of infection prevention and control. (Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care)
Business help and assistance
Business information on how to manage and save energy for small and large businesses, how and where to save energy for various industries and equipment, and grants and funding for energy efficiency investment.
Business Energy Advice Program provides free services for eligible small businesses to get better energy deals and reduce their energy spend.
Energy efficiency training lists a range of energy efficiency training providers and options, including accredited training, on-the-job learning, government workshops, and programs offered by professional and industry associations.
Business resources (National COVID-19 Commission) Australian Government
Financial support for small business customers in NSW, South Australia and Victoria Energy Networks Australia
Financial difficulty Australian Banking Association (membership comprises 22 banks from across Australia)
My Business Health advice and resources for small businesses (Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman) Australian Government
Rebates and assistance is a searchable database of energy and sustainability rebates and assistance from the Australian Government and state and territory governments.
Retailers confirm support for energy customers Australian Energy Council (membership comprises 23 major electricity and downstream natural gas businesses, covering 10 million homes and businesses)
Jobs and job seekers
Early Childhood Education and Care Relief Package Australian Government (payments to ensure services can remain open, and families who need it can access care)
jobactive Australian Government (advertise jobs or find staff, plus wage subsidy information and more)
Jobs Hub Australian Government (up-to-date list of a selection of businesses and organisations that are currently hiring, and how to contact them)
Energy and water ombudsman (for small businesses)
Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman Australian Government
Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman COVID-19 Australian Government
ACT Energy and water ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal - Call 02 6207 7740
NSW Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW - Call 1800 246 545
NT Ombudsman NT - Call 1800 806 380
Qld Energy & Water Ombudsman - Call 1800 662 837
SA Energy & Water Ombudsman SA - Call 1800 665 565
Tas Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170
Tas Energy Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170
Vic Energy and Water Ombudsman - Call 1800 500 509
WA Energy and Water Ombudsman - Call 1800 754 004
Find COVID-19 help from your state or territory government