Billing and payment help
- If your business is having trouble paying its energy bill you should call your electricity or gas provider. Their phone number is on your bill.
- Ask about what hardship support they can offer you. They have staff trained to assist.
- Ask to go on a payment plan to pay your bill over a longer period or make small regular payments.
- Stay on the plan to protect yourself from disconnection, interest payments and late fees.
- Ask if there are government concessions or rebates to help you. You can also check for government energy efficiency and sustainability rebates and assistance in your state or territory.
- Ask if they can offer you a better deal. If they can’t give you more help you can switch providers to save.
- If your energy bill seems wrong, your retailer must review it if requested.
- If you receive a disconnection notice from your retailer, contact them immediately to discuss your options. You should not be disconnected during a protected period, such as a weekend or public holiday.
- If you're still not satisfied, contact the energy ombudsman in your state or territory. An ombudsman is a free and independent dispute resolution service. See further below for contact details.
Support for businesses
Australian Government COVID-19 assistance is on the business.gov.au website.
Advice on navigating your business through COVID-19 is on the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman’s My Business Health portal.
Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call the Australian Taxation Office’s Emergency Support Hotline on 1800 806 218 for help tailored to their circumstances.
State and territory governments
State and territory governments are providing a range of measures to assist businesses during the pandemic. See below for support that is available in your state or territory.
COVID-19 advice and support
Coronavirus information and support for business (business.gov.au) Australian Government
COVID-19 (Australian Taxation Office) Australian Government
COVID-19 domestic travel restrictions and remote area access (Department of Health) Australian Government
COVID-19 infection training (Department of Health) Australian Government - Free training for workers across all health care settings.
COVID-19 resources centre.(Services Australia) Australian Government - Resources including posters, media materials, factsheets and more to support employees and customers to get proof of their COVID-19 vaccinations.
COVID-19 vaccination and Australian workplace laws (Fair Work Ombudsman) Australian Government
e-learning modules on the principles of infection prevention and control. Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
Information on COVID-19 and work, health and safety (safe work australia) Australian Government
My Business Health (Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman) Australian Government
Energy advice and assistance
AER Statement of Expectations of energy businesses: Protecting customers and the energy market during COVID-19 (Australian Energy Regulator) Australian Government
Retailers confirm support for energy customers Australian Energy Council
Financial support for small business customers in NSW, South Australia and Victoria Energy Networks Australia
Financial difficulty Australian Banking Association - Membership comprises 22 banks from across Australia.
Business Energy Advice Program provides free services for eligible small businesses to get better energy deals and reduce their energy spend.
Rebates and assistance is a searchable database of energy and sustainability rebates and assistance from the Australian Government and state and territory governments.
Business information on how to manage and save energy in various industries and grants and funding available for energy efficiency investment.
Energy and water ombudsman (for small businesses)
Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman Australian Government
Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman COVID-19 Australian Government
ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal - Call 02 6207 7740
Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW - Call 1800 246 545
Ombudsman NT - Call 1800 806 380
Energy & Water Ombudsman Queensland - Call 1800 662 837
Energy & Water Ombudsman SA - Call 1800 665 565
Ombudsman Tasmania - Call 1800 001 170
Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria - Call 1800 500 509
Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia - Call 1800 754 004